Pages

In Loving Memory

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Friday, March 30, 2012

CD# 15 / Retrieval

The day before yesterday was a big day for us on our long road to baby... actually it was focused more on my hubby.  His doctor was able to successfully retrieve his sperm by means of a testicular biopsy.  Albeit a painful procedure, it was necessary for us to have our baby.  I love him so much for doing this for our baby and I wish I could've been there with him.  Unfortunately, I had to go to work in order to avoid another warning from work. 

Yesterday was my turn... I went to finally get my retrieval done!  The appointment was set for 7:30 am but I had to be there an hour before.  My mom drove me since my hubby was still recovering from his procedure.  After filling out some paperwork, I changed into my hospital gown and waited a few minutes for the nurse to set up my IV.  She tried to use my right arm about 3 times before switching to the left arm to insert the IV line.  For some reason she couldn't find the vein in the right arm but I should've known to expect that since it's not the first time this has happened.  (The nurses at Dr. R's office always find the vein on either arm but I guess that's just because they're awesome.)  Anyway, I was then taken to the OR and asked to lie down on the table.  I met my Anesthesiologist while the OR nurses strapped me down.  When they were all ready, they called for Dr. R to begin and then I was asleep.  The procedure lasted about 45 minutes and when I woke up, I recognized my Embryologist checking out my stats.  He told me that they'd recovered 20 eggs and that it was the highest number he's seen in years!!  Even though I was really groggy, I was ecstatic with the great news.  I had a small bottle of water while he read me my discharge instructions and I was home about an hour later.

I can't believe how far we've come and I'm really anxious for the next and last step of the procedure... the Transfer!  I got a call back from my nurse at Dr. R's office at around 3:30 pm while I was at work.  She told me that out of the 20 eggs, 15 were fertilized.  Out of the 15, 7 matured into embryos and that on Tuesday they will transfer 2 into me.  I cannot wait to take 2 of those little ones home!!  Everyone at work thinks we'll have twins and even though it seems like too much to handle, I'd happily carry 2 bundles of joy until they're ready to come out.  If that's the case, I hope we all win the MegaMillions!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment